Self-Employed Pub Business Partner

Romping Cat
Foundation agreement


The Romping Cat is located on the outskirts of Bloxwich and is situated on a main road, surrounded by houses and other businesses.

It is a traditional wet led pub that has 3 small trading areas. A traditional bar area, with fixed seating and a small bar/servery, a second room that is more modern and seats approx. 20 and a further room which is used as a games room, with darts board and gaming machines and also benefiting from dominoes and crib teams in the week.
Outside there is a beer garden and covered smoking shelter.
We are looking for someone who can work with the locals and existing clientele. They need to be proactive and want to push additional events and local marketing in the area. Even though it is a small pub it still has a lot of potential.

The Opportunity

Let your big ideas for your own pub run free as a foundation partner. Your earnings will be based on a percentage of weekly drinks sales, but you’ll have the flexibility to choose the food you offer and keep every penny of food sales! It’s the chance to:

  • Leave your old life behind and be your own boss
  • Commit to five of the most exciting years you’ll have ever worked
  • Live rent-free in the pub
  • Take home 30% of weekly drinks sales
  • Keep 100% of the money you make on food
  • Keep 50% of the profits from any gaming machines
  • Offer the award-winning range of fantastic Marston’s beers, wines, spirits and minerals
  • Have your drinks stock supplied and paid for by Marston’s, not to mention your heating and lighting
  • Learn from the best during your induction training and enjoy on going training and support from your dedicated Business Development Manager
Things to consider

You’ll need to put in a £5k deposit, plus legal fees and cover your own insurance (except building insurance, which we’ll pay for). Also, you’ll want to start thinking about your team; taking care of paying them and all other employment matters. We’re on-hand to offer guidance as you plan your business overheads, like business rates (and your own residential Council Tax). Also, start thinking about any internal repairs and decoration you’d like to do to bring the place up to standard and committing to an annual decorating fund.

Before we all sign the agreement and see you heading into a whole new life, you’ll just need to show us proof that you’ve had independent financial advice from an accountant and solicitor, as dictated by the Statutory Pub Code. And, of course, obtain your personal licence (which we’ll help with) and complete your induction training.

It’s a five-year commitment, so you have loads of time to build the business and get it performing brilliantly.