Self-Employed Pub Business Partner

Oak Inn
Total ingoing costs:
Tenancy agreement


The Oak Inn is a city Centre pub, in the heart of the student district of Coventry. A one room bar that has been run as a late night venue for the last 16 years. We require a strong experienced operator for this site and someone who is able to draw on the day time trade and grow and develop the business.

The Opportunity

If you’re looking for maximum freedom and the chance to run a business in your own way, a Marston’s tenancy will allow you to really flex your creative muscles. This agreement is for the real entrepreneurial types, who have a bit of money to invest, some solid business skills and the vision to bring their dream to life.

You can implement your own ideas and develop your own food offering. And, whilst you’ll be running your own business your way, you can still lean on the Marston’s team for all the support you need.

This is your chance to:
  • Take on a pub for three or five of the most exciting years of your career yet
  • Be your own boss and do things pretty much your own way
  • Offer the award-winning range of fantastic Marston’s beers, wines, spirits and minerals
  • Keep 100% of the business’ profits
  • Put together your own menus and choose your own food
  • Keep 50% of profits from any gaming machines
  • Learn from the best, with brilliant induction training, not to mention on going training and support from your dedicated Business Development Manager, who’ll help you make the most of the business
Things to consider

This agreement offers the most independence, but also needs a bigger commitment from you. So you’ll need to put in a £5k security deposit or 25% of the annual rent, whichever is higher, plus pay your own rent (the yearly increase will be capped to the Retail Price Index) and cover your own legal fees. You will need to cover your own business insurance and also start thinking about your team; taking care of paying them and all other employment matters.

We’re on-hand to offer guidance as you plan your business overheads, like business rates, annual service charge, Council Tax and utility bills. Also, start thinking about any internal repairs and decoration you’d like to do to bring the place up to standard and consigning to an annual decorating fund. Not to mention what fixtures, fittings and glassware you’ll get for your pub.

Before we all sign the agreement and see you heading into a whole new life, you’ll just need to show us proof that you’ve had independent financial advice from an accountant and solicitor, as dictated by the Statutory Pub Code. And, of course, obtain your personal licence (which we’ll help with) and complete your induction training.